Monday 22 April 2013

THE HOBBIT


THE HOBBIT
I love lord of the ring trilogy with its epic feel its memorable characters, brilliant plot and interesting sub text. Due to this I had so much expectation for the Hobbit that was unfortunately not fulfilled in any way. The Hobbit is the complete opposite of what made the LOTR trilogy so great, barely anything happens, by the end of the film I don’t remember any new character and the plot is barely non-existent. Since watching this film I've almost lost any interest in any future lord of the ring film. 
This film is so stretched that to fill in the time they have three (THREE!) intros the first hour (after the intros) it just what I think is reused cut footage (many cause I doubt that Elijah wood would just fly to New Zealand to shot that scene) of Bilbo writing his account of his adventures with Frodo in the background talking about the party in the beginning of the fellowship. Then it cuts to Bilbo and Gandalf meeting and talking about stuff can’t really remember anything about this cause it’s pointless. The next scene it’s just all the dwarfs entering Bilbo’s house one by one full of bad joke after bad joke with no exception. The only part of this scene that is really necessary was when they finally get around to telling Bilbo what their quest is. Then after some footage that should have ended up on the deleted scenes on the DVD we get started with the actual adventure. 
By the time anything remotely interesting happens I’m so bored that even the three slightly decent battle scenes make barely excite me. This isn't helped by the fact that other than Bilbo and Gandalf none of the main characters are memorable even the dwarf leader and because of this you don’t care that any of them are in danger.

Will I go to see the next installment  Yes for the same reason I’ll be going to watch star wars episode VII because it’s part of a once loved franchise. Will I watch this again? Well… yes but only because it’s part of the lord of the rings franchise but that’s the only real reason. And because of this and the fact that it could have been shortened to around half an hour and not lose anything in the process, I would have to give this a appallingly bad 3/10 meaning awful which isn't great for my first review

Scoring system: 1- didn't get though the first few minutes, 2- will never watch again, 3- awful, 4- below average, 5- average, 6- above average, 7- good, 8- great, 9- brilliant, 9.5- almost perfect, 10- perfect (impossible) 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I want to see it now, thank you for your sage wisdom

    ReplyDelete